Sunday, January 1, 2017

InkScape

I have to take some time to learn Ink Scape and Gimp too.

Inkscape Tutorials

I am utterly clueless on computer art and graphic design. I have drawn simple cartoons online computer drawing programs but nothing more.

This is to work on my comic.

Right now I am stuck on a detail, I can't seem to figure out.

How does one download a picture or scan INTO one of these programs to alter it?

If you can help me with this detail I would appreciate it.

One comic guy wrote this:

"My process

I draw everything by hand myself fully inked then scan the image, do digital editing/coloring in photoshop, painter or gimp. Then I take the digital file and throw it in to illustrator or inkscape for lettering. 

Panelling
It's pretty easy to panel and letter in Inkscape. If you are worried about making level panels I would create the original art(by hand or digitally). Create a new inkscape file to the dimensions of your final work. Import the art file into inkscape. Open up the Layers palette under the Layers file menu. Create an new layer. Start drawing panels using the square and rectangle shape tool around your art. Go to the Object menu and select the Fill and Stroke palette. Under fill make the rectangle transparent and select the color for your border under the Stroke Paint(probably black) then select the line width under Stroke Style and you done. On to lettering.

Lettering Create a new layer. Start drawing your word balloons and narration boxes. To add the tails to the word balloons use the pen tool and draw them. Then select the balloon and tail together. Go to the Path menu and select Union. Your balloon and tail unite to create the finished word balloon. Create a new layer. At this point I would lock the layers below your lettering layer so you can't effect the stuff you've already made. Use the text tool to start writing your text. Select your font and size and place the text inside your word balloons. You can manipulate the size of your word balloon using the arrow tool and change the shape using the Edit Paths by Nodes tool(right below the arrow tool). After that you're pretty much done. Just save it to the file format of your choice."


I guess it's called "Import". I wish someone taught a class on this. Well I did want to go to Cartoon College remember. Well you know some of what I will be spending my time doing.

I wasn't able to come up with a scanner, and scanning was cost prohibitive for now so going to see if taking a picture of the panels will work. Let's hope it does. 


3 comments:

  1. Hi Peep - You probably know all this, but I checked around a little and here's what I found - I wrote it all out because I like detailed instructions for computers because I'm no expert!
    First you have to get the photograph of the panel from your camera into your computer. Usually you upload the pictures with a cord that comes with your camera and plugs into your computer and lets your camera "talk" to your computer. And usually it uploads the image into software that either comes with your camera and you put on your computer or that was on your computer already.
    Once you have the image in there, it looks like you can follow this tutorial. I went to youtube and put in "inkscape import image" and it came up with this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2yKVFo3u1s
    Looks like there are lots of inkscape tutorials on youtube. But I'm guessing you know this all already. But just in case, I thought I'd leave it in a comment here. Good luck with your comic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously this will help. I need to have things dumbed down as much as possible when it comes to computers. Some may ask how'd you figure out blogspot? It took me a LOT of time in the beginning. I still have to photograph the other half of the comic. Probably will do so tomorrow. I am going to have to take time and watch them all.

      Delete
    2. Thanks with comic. If I learn how to do inkscape. I can do comics direct on line too.

      Delete